ABOUT

CARDIFF UNIVERSITY

PRIFYSGOL CAERDYDD

Gwirionedd, Undod a Chytgord | Truth, Unity and Concord

The university first opened its doors on 24 October 1883 and was formally established by Royal Charter in 1884. Originally named the University College of South Wales and Monmouthshire and following several mergers in 1999 became publicly known as Cardiff University. In December 2004, the Privy Council approved a new Supplemental Charter granting university status and the legal name changed from the University of Wales to Cardiff University.


The university is a research-active university with a range of internationally excellent areas, such as the Brain Research Imaging Centre opened by HM Queen in 2016, the MRC Centre for Neuropsychiatric Genetics and Genomics the Cardiff Catalysis Institute, and is currently building the first Social Science Park a world’s first for Wales and is known as sbarc | spark. It is also home to the Gravity Exploration Institute which is part of  the Laser Interferometer Gravitational Wave Observatory (LIGO) scientific collaboration which announced the first direct detection of gravitational waves in 2015, The Seafarers International Research Centre and the Wales Institute of Social & Economic Research, Data & Methods  (WISERD).


Cardiff University is deeply rooted in the local community and proactively engages with the general public to help improve health, wealth and wellbeing in Wales, across the UK and around the world; with projects such as Community Gateway (Grangetown, Cardiff)  and The Phoenix Project (Namibia).

Main-Building_BlueSky_GreenGrass.jpg